The NALP Foundation Launches New Study Exploring Key Factors Driving Associate Retention
DEADLINE FOR PARTICIPATION EXTENDED TO SEPTEMBER 22. The study identifies the key reasons associates elect to remain at their firms, critical information for law firm leaders as they assess the efficacy and focus of their retention efforts.
Thursday, September 7, 2023
The NALP Foundation announces today the launch of its newest research study exploring the key factors that drive law firm associate retention. The Stay Study will identify the key reasons associates elect to remain at their firms, critical information for law firm leaders as they assess the efficacy and focus of their retention efforts.
The study will collect data on the importance of each of the following areas to associates, as well as segmenting the data by seniority, firm size and location, and demographic cohorts:
- Work Allocation/Workflow Management
- Compensation (salary/bonus/other)
- Benefits (medical, dental, mental health support)
- Firm Policies (billable hours/credit, leave)
- Hybrid Work Policies
- Professional Development
- Career Path
- Mentoring (formal and informal)
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Pro Bono/Community Involvement
- Firm Culture/Social Ties
- Market Perception of Firm
- Practice Area Alignment with Personal Interest
- Work/Life Balance
“Law firms devote significant human and financial capital to programs and efforts to retain top talent, but there is a dearth of empiric data on which truly influence associates’ decisions to stay at a firm rather than leaving,” noted NALP Foundation President & CEO Fiona Trevelyan Hornblower. “This important new study will provide actionable data and unique insights for both firms and the profession broadly.”
With no cost to participate, the study is designed for ease of administration for participating firms and to maximize the data’s utility to them:
- Each firm will receive a link from The NALP Foundation containing the survey instrument for distribution to their associates. Participating firms may distribute the survey link to their associates as soon as they receive the link, at the time that works best for them.
- The survey takes only 7 minutes or less for associates to complete.
- Data collection will close on Friday, October 6, 2023.
- Participating firms will receive an individual confidential report comparing their firm’s results with the overall results, enabling rapid benchmarking and providing insights beyond internal surveys or stay interviews.
- The identities of participating firms will be kept strictly confidential, with no identifying information publicly released.
Law firms that wish to participate in this landmark study should register here by Friday, September 22:
If you have questions, please contact Jennifer Mandery, Vice President for Research (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Fiona Trevelyan Hornblower, President & CEO (email@example.com).
The full report (in PDF format) will be available for purchase from The NALP Foundation at www.nalpfoundation.org/bookstore once data analysis is complete, or may be pre-ordered via that link.